31393 - Confederate Flagbearer, 5th Texas, “Lone Star” Flag, Texas Brigade

W. Britains

After the 5th Texas Infantry was organized in Richmond, Va., on 31 September 1861, its officers had a local contractor manufacture a flag for the regiment. Measuring 60 1/2’’ (hoist) x 84 1/5’’ (fly) and “Made of silk, fringed with silver and mounted on a handsome staff,” it was popular with the soldiers and was known as the “Lone Star flag.” Another flag was soon presented to the regiment while in winter quarters at Dumfries, Va., in late 1861 – a silk “St. Andrew’s Cross” pattern. That flag was used until June 1862, when retired and replaced with a woolen flag made by Mrs. Maude Young. While this flag was away being decorated with battle honors after the Seven Days battles, two officers decided to smuggle the Lone Star flag out of the Texas Depot and bring it back to camp. General Hood was displeased with the trickery, though the flag was carried throughout the following battles at Second Manassas and Antietam. Because it was so shot up and due to the Lone Star flag’s outdated pattern, the flag was returned to the state archives in Austin.

Related Items